Standing Among Stones

I ponder the stones
and wonder at their names.
There is a chill in my bones
as memory plays games.

So many lay still
beneath the earthy sky,
lining hill after hill
so calmly they die.

I look at my life
reflected in stone,
I feel the strife
of a future unknown.

What did they see,
those swallowed in death?
Are they now free
as they lie without breath?

Or do they now weep
for life that is lost?
Disturbed as they sleep
at the great cost.

I cannot now know
what awaits me ahead,
or where I will go
before I am dead.

So I shall live right
as right as I may,
and long for the light,
the light of the day.

I ponder the stones
and who I will be.
I sigh in soft tones
and know I'll be free.

Death is no monster
or tyrant at all,
I fear it no longer
as He paid for the fall.

So in life I shall wander
the wintry trail,
and stop to ponder
a love that won't fail.

I ponder each stone
as a path up ahead,
no longer alone,
no longer with dread.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rumination on Paths Already Tread

Upon Turning Thirty

Meditations on Ecclesiastes